getting benefits started

If you are a new veteran or dependent student who has not used VA benefits before at any institution of higher education, this is where you start.

ASU Veteran Services in the Pat Tillman Veterans Center is primarily responsible for the administration of veterans' educational benefits programs and the necessary enrollment certifications. There are staff members designated by the VA as certifying officials at each of ASU's campuses. The Veteran Services staff processes claims electronically to the VA Regional Processing Center in Muskogee, Okla. for payment of benefits. In addition to serving veterans and their dependents with benefit inquiries, we also provide assistance for any student in the U.S. military whose ASU enrollment is impacted by military activation.

ASU Veteran Services staff does not determine a veteran's eligibility for benefits. We will assist in the completion of applications and communication of veteran student enrollment to the VA for the purposes of certification and receipt of benefits. For more information regarding individual eligibility for these and other educational benefits, please contact the Department of Veteran Affairs Regional Processing Center at 1-800-827-1000 or visit the website at

We encourage veterans attending ASU to contact us in person, by email or by phone with any questions they may have pertaining to the processing of their VA educational benefits or military activation assistance while at ASU.

New students

New students are those who have not used VA benefits before at any institution of higher education. To apply for benefits, please complete the appropriate VA application and submit along with the required supporting documentation (see below) directly to VA using VONAPP at

Or, complete and submit the appropriate VA application and supporting documents (see below) by mail to: Department of Veterans Affairs, PO Box 8888, Muskogee, OK 74402-8888

Chapter 30, 33, 1606 & 1607 

Form 22-1990

Chapter 35 

Form 22-5490

Chapter 31 

Eligibility/Application is determined by the Department of Veteran Affairs, Vocational Rehabilitation Office 

Required supporting documentation

  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter from the VA stating eligibility and length of entitlement (Ch 33 and 35). This will be sent to you four to eight weeks after you apply for your benefits using the VONAPP process. If you have not yet received your COE, you may substitute a DD-214 or other proof of benefits eligibility, but you will still need to submit a COE as soon as you receive it.
  • DD-214 (Military Discharge Document) - Copy Member 4 (Ch 30 and 1606, only)
  • DD-2384 (NOBE - Notice of Basic Eligibility) (Ch 1606, only)

Additional forms required for Veteran Services

  • Prior Credit Evaluation — Print the form and take it to your academic advisor for completion.
  • VA Benefits Responsibility Form — Complete the form online and submit directly to ASU Veteran Services. You will receive a confirmation email indicating you have submitted the form.
  • VA Enrollment Activity Form — Fill out the form online and submit it. You will receive an email confirmation from ASU Veteran Services that you have submitted the form. This enrollment information will be sent to the VA every semester.

Other forms, if applicable

  • Concurrent Enrollment, 315 — This is necessary if ASU is your parent school and you are taking courses at another school (supplemental school). Your parent school advisor must complete this form verifying that the courses you are taking at the supplemental school are applicable to your degree program at ASU. Complete this form and turn it in to the Pat Tillman Veterans Center location on your campus, which will fax it to the supplemental school's VA office.
  • DARS Evaluation Form — This form is used if you are enrolled in a course that does not automatically appear on your Degree Audit Report. The form needs to be completed by your advisor, verifying that the course(s) will apply to the degree program.
  • Enrollment Change Notification — To submit any changes to your enrollment after you have submitted your VA Enrollment Activity Form.
  • Graduate Program of Study — For graduate students only. This form must be completed by your academic advisor.
  • Tuition Deferment Request — For eligible military, veteran or dependent students only; requests a delay of tuition payment due date until later in the term.
  • Tutorial Assistance, Form 22-1990t — This is for students who are using educational benefits and need tutoring during the semester. Students can receive additional VA assistance to defer the expenses incurred for tutoring services. To utilize this, the student must obtain a letter from the instructor indicating the exact tutoring needed, select a tutor and submit the VA Tutorial Assistance form, 22-1990t, to the Pat Tillman Veterans Center location on the appropriate campus. The amount paid is at the rate of the monthly tutoring cost not to exceed $100 per calendar month. The maximum amount payable is $1,200 with the first $600 coming from the VA and the last $600 being deducted from the student's remaining entitlement. Dependent students, Chapter 35, receive up to $1,200 without entitlement being charged.

Monthly verification

Ch. 30, 1606 and 1607 students are responsible for verifying their own enrollment at the end of each month. You must do this to get your benefit check for school attendance the previous month. Contact the VA Regional Processing Office each month by phone at 1-877-823-2378 or online at

Frequently Asked Questions